Wednesday, December 1, 2010

To Dad

I went to bed around 3:00 AM, and my Dad was still at work. He's always had to work long hours, because that's show business. It's not unusual for him to work 70-80 hour weeks. When there's a show (or several shows!) coming up, I'm usually the only one who really gets to see him because I'm the only one still awake by the time he gets home. Last night, he was doing freelance work, which means that it wasn't part of his regular job, he was earning extra money.

My Dad inspires me.

He's always worked this hard. He could have made lots of money if he'd chosen to light films in Hollywood. Instead, he followed God's leading into the ministry, where he makes less money and still works twice the amount of hours in a normal work week. He doesn't complain, he just does what needs to be done because "the show must go on."

I so appreciate that.

Show business runs in my family. My great-grandfather, on my Dad's side, was in the very first barbershop quartet, performing on radio shows and having celebrities like Eddie Cantor over for dinner. Dad got into the technical side of things, lighting films and shows with what is clearly a God-given talent. I've learned about lighting, and what precious little I know was very difficult for me to understand. It's second nature to Dad. He loves it. So it makes sense that he always understood my desire to act, and he was my biggest supporter. He and Mom made sure I understood how unreliable and difficult it would be to get into the business, but they always supported me. Now, God's leading me to pursue acting (my dream), opening a door that I thought He had closed. I don't remember when I caught the acting bug, but I've had it ever since I can remember. My first role was Baby Jesus, and then I was in a commercial for CBN at age 3. I do remember that instance, and I remember wanting to have a career in acting even at that young age. My parents always encouraged me.

I'm so grateful that they wanted me to have a career doing something I love, and sacrificed in order to help me pursue that dream. Mom and Dad fully support my being an actress, as well as encourage me to be a published author and history teacher (what a busy life that would be!). All three of those were my areas of study, and none of them are definite money-makers. Most parents don't encourage the acting thing, or anything else that isn't a known, reliable way to make money. That's never been the case in my family. Dad's always cultured me with movies of all kinds and shared his wealth of movie knowledge, and Mom participates/cheerleads. She didn't come from a movie-family, but she loves ours, even if she doesn't always understand us, hahaha.

I love you, Mom and Dad. Thanks for your love and support. I'm so grateful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment