Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Smattering of Things...

It's been a busy few days, so this one post will cover several things.

First of all, I went to see "The Lion King" with the Honors and Scholars group from my school on Thursday.

WOW....

I was stunned. By the end of the first song I was shaking with excitement, shock, and joy. I had no idea they could do shows like that on stage! It was completely magical. The actors moved so at one with their puppets that it was easy to believe that they were simply the soul of the animals they portrayed, so full of life and grace. The singing and dancing were magnificent, and the music was fantastic. They handled the scene changes with the finesse only found in professionals, and the lighting was absolutely gorgeous, completing the world created by the designers. I've never seen a show so magical, and I hope I get to see it again someday. ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.

Tonight we set up our fake tree and decorated it while watching "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe." I'm so glad our tree is set up now, and the movie was even better than I remembered. It's been a long time since I watched that one. And that fact that it snowed tonight as we decorated made it a beautiful picture.

Today I finished one of my term papers, which is a huge weight off of my shoulders. Just one more, then my story (in place of a regular paper for another class), then exams. 8 days until graduation, and then 3 exams to take. It's going to be fine... The paper I finished today was on Christianity in Ancient Rome, just after Christ's ascension through Constantine. I decided to start my paper with some background on who Christ was and why He would have been meaningless to the Roman Empire were it not for the mob demanding His death to Pilate. The charge they finally assigned to him was "King of the Jews," after Jesus finally assented to the title. What struck me while I was researching and writing was the sovereignty of God. Everything was so planned, so exact. Pilate's decision was based on the only thing that sounded like it could POSSIBLY be credible, Jesus' trial was filled with fake witnesses... and everything went according to plan. Everything, right down to exactly the way His body would fail Him so that He would die of a broken heart upon the cross, not asphyxiation like most victims. None of His bones were broken. Prophecy was fulfilled to the letter.

Why? Why would the Son of God leave heaven to come and die for me? For you? As I read the details of His sufferings I was struck afresh with my own utter and complete wickedness and the kindness and love of God. I'm overwhelmed, completely in awe. All I could do was cry and apologize to Him, again, over and over. But every time that happens, no matter how aware I am of my sin, I'm MORE aware of His love and forgiveness.

How kind is God???

No other religion is driven by this love. God calls us to love Him, as HE first loved US. That's incredible! We follow Jesus because we love Him, and He demonstrates His love for us daily, in ways that we may never see until we're with Him in heaven. He really HAS given us abundantly more than we could ask for or imagine. His love is unfathomable, but it's the most real thing in the universe. He loved us before time began, and nothing can take us out of His hand.

I pray that you're given a fresh view of how much God loves you. It's getting close to Christmas, when we celebrate God sending His son down to begin the lowly life that would lead Him to a criminal's death and the wrath of His Father. All to reconcile us to Him and bring glory to His Father. We're so blessed...

Happy Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. i love your blog, Micah! you are a gifted write and it's evident, a woman in love with Jesus. i look forward to following your life thru this blog. God bless you, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete