Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas

Hello, all.

Sorry about the extended silence! I was buried under papers and exams for a few weeks there, but I've been free for about a week now and I'm LOVING it! One more week until grad school!

I was incredibly blessed by those who came to celebrate my graduation with me last Saturday. I was extremely humbled and grateful for those who came, and for their generosity! I felt so loved! Thank you all for showing me how God cares for even the smallest details in my life, and for reminding me of the many blessings He's given me in you all. :)

Well, friends, as you all know...tonight is Christmas Eve. I love Christmas, it's my favorite time of year. It's always over too quickly though. I wish we still celebrated it over twelve days, like they used to. In any case, it will be nice to spend some time with my family. My grandparents (from both sides) are here, so that's really nice. We plan on eating (Mom made me special sugar cookies that I can have!), going to church, then opening presents tonight. It's unusual, but we're usually all alone out here, and there was never a reason to wait until Christmas morning to open presents. I guess a lot of people do that because they go to their grandparents house for Christmas Day, but that would be a 6 hour flight for us! Some people might find that lonely, but we've always enjoyed ourselves. It's nice having quiet, family Christmases. But it'll be nice having our grandparents with us too. We have Spanish/Puerto Rican food from Mom's side of the family, and Italian food from my Dad's side, made by Papa, who came over on the boat from Italy in 1921 (so it's the good stuff!). It's not food I can have, but it's nice that everyone else can enjoy it! On Christmas Day we usually open our stockings, have breakfast, and go see a movie. This year we'll do something along those lines, but we're also Skyping our cousin Rosanna in Verona, Italy. She doesn't speak English, so Papa will have to translate. We'll see how it goes...it's nice being connected to our family over there. :)

So those are our plans. I feel an extra sharp sense of what God's done for me this Christmas. I've felt His strength throughout this year while encountering several trials and I've come to realize how He really IS present with us, always. So "Emmanuel" has a special meaning for me now. "God With Us"...do you realize how rare, how AMAZING that is? The God of the universe sent His only Son to become a man and live on this earth, amidst trials, pain, suffering, evil...everything He hates. And He died to save us, unworthy traitors, from dying in our sins. It would have been more than enough if He only died to save us, but He also made us heirs with Him! And He sent his Spirit to be with us, always. God is so amazing!

Thank you, Lord, for what Christmas means. Thank you for sending your Son to die in my place. Thank you for being with us.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment